Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Voice of the People!

Once again, The People have come to our side in defending us against the professional arbiters of taste: Behold! Our review from the CBC, followed by the real responses of real fans, who have opened their minds and hearts to us.

CBC Review:
Reviewed at the Toronto Fringe (July 4-15)Okay, call me a prude if you will, but to the best of my knowledge, “naughty words” and “rudeness” are not synonyms for “comedy.” Yes, comedy can be rude, and sometimes it uses naughty words... but not all that is naughty/rude is comedy. This is simple math, people. That seems to be the math class Calgary sketch comedians Obscene But Not Heard skipped out on, since they too often fall back on the crutch of political incorrectness in their sporadically-funny show. There are points where this works out, like Peter Strand Rumpel’s very rude, but very funny “Inappropriate Weather Forecast” (the only line I can possibly repeat here: “Over in the Maritimes - poor, stupid, and dirty as usual”). But too often the sketches just don’t go anywhere. Trevor Campbell’s fine Christopher Walken impression fizzles out, a sketch about the disciples trying to “spin” the crucifixion and make book deals never really delivers big laughs, and on it goes. The potential’s there - if OBNH spent a little more time on the jokes and a bit less trying to shock us, they could be on to something.

CBC Rating: Two Bars
Reviewed by: Joff Schmidt


Your Reviews
2 bars? I heartily disagree! I could see maybe if you were a stong PC (meaning politically correct), but if you're not...
You will laugh and LAUGH at the things you know you should not!! I almost fell off my chair at one point. I am not kidding.
Fresh takes on...
The circus!Sausage!Kick-boxing! (you'll understand that one if you see the show)
A must-see for anyone with an open mind!
Posted by: Brad W July 21, 2007 10:30 AM

I can't believe It got such a trash review! Yes, it is a bit politically incorrect, but if you saw the three minute sample on the Main Stage, you knew it would be a bit "out there". I loved the show - felt it was fantastic!! I felt that the actors were involved with the audience and it added to the show!
The audience I was with "bust a gut" laughing at the Christopher Walkin bit. The show had a theme and they kept with it! An amazing beginning and an overall great show! (I have to add, the scene changes were quick and Humourous, too!)
Posted by: D. Woodfine July 21, 2007 10:25 AM

No comments: